The never ending tinkering with my macro set-up continues.
I’ve been mixing it up with my standard 50mm + tubes + Raynox vs 50mm reversed on tubes vs. Raynox on 200mm.
I’ve got a downsizing ring for the Raynox on the 200 that should arrive this week so more to come on that.
Here are a few things to consider:
These are 50mm reversed with slight crop in LR (about 20%). Aperture was set manually before removing from camera and reversing.
The things I like about this set-up:
- at f22 the dof is nice
- its a bit less contrasty than other set-ups
- working distance is greater than 50mm + tubes + Raynox (about 6cm vs 4cm)
- at f22 its just too dark and the miss rate is subsequently much higher
- the flash ETTL system seems to miss calculate the lighting more often.
- All in all the results is great when it hits but the reliability is poor compared with the 50 + tubes + Raynox.
This is same set-up (50mm reversed on tubes) @ f14. easier to see but still harder than the 50mm on tubes + raynox.
This is from 50mm on tubes + Raynox
Same but with contrasty processing
Which do you prefer?
More to come so watch this space!
I’m trying to improve my very poor knowledge of formal names of insects. I think this is correct. Found in Sydney Northern Beaches, September 11 2016. Local trees Angophora Costata. It looks like the beetle in these links however the locations conflict:
Any supporting info would be much appreciated.
Photography info: Canon 7D, Kenko Tubes & 50mm 1.8 coupled with my home made lighting setup.
I’ve recently started playing with the Nik Software straight out of Lightroom. I’ve used Niksoft software for years (pre Google purchasing it) but I’ve really only used it when editing in Photoshop. The Nik collection works quite well out of Lightroom to add a bit of puch to the dynamic range of images. Probably the biggest limitation is things can get a bit noisy in the shadows, especially if things are pushed too hard. Each of these images received about 1min of post production in Lightroom 6.
Canon 7D, Kenko Tubes & 50mm 1.8 coupled with my home made lighting setup.
These are form the same set of jumping spider shots from the post about my new snoot set-up.
This little one was jumping around in the nasturtium flowers in our herb garden. The orange and yellow from the flower created fantastic background colours but the down side was quite a bit of colourcast to deal with tin post production.
Shot with my usual 7D with an array of tubes and close-up filters.
I get a lot of questions about my macro setup so I’ve put together a short tutorial with video clip that will hopefully be helpful to those getting started. I will be adding more to this in coming weeks.
All the info can be found here
These little guys are so much fun. At about 3mm long they are far from menacing. They just jump around looking like they are having fun in the flowers. If you could go as far as calling a spider cute it would have to be a jumping spider.
Canon 7D, Kenko Tubes, 50mm 1.8 + macro diopter filter, coupled with my home made lighting setup.