The never ending tinkering with my macro set-up continues.
I’ve been mixing it up with my standard 50mm + tubes + Raynox vs 50mm reversed on tubes vs. Raynox on 200mm.
I’ve got a downsizing ring for the Raynox on the 200 that should arrive this week so more to come on that.
Here are a few things to consider:
These are 50mm reversed with slight crop in LR (about 20%). Aperture was set manually before removing from camera and reversing.
The things I like about this set-up:
- at f22 the dof is nice
- its a bit less contrasty than other set-ups
- working distance is greater than 50mm + tubes + Raynox (about 6cm vs 4cm)
- at f22 its just too dark and the miss rate is subsequently much higher
- the flash ETTL system seems to miss calculate the lighting more often.
- All in all the results is great when it hits but the reliability is poor compared with the 50 + tubes + Raynox.
This is same set-up (50mm reversed on tubes) @ f14. easier to see but still harder than the 50mm on tubes + raynox.
This is from 50mm on tubes + Raynox
Same but with contrasty processing
Which do you prefer?
More to come so watch this space!